SEND at Northwood Community Primary School
SENCO: Mrs Carrie Hyland (NASENCO Award February 2022)
Contactable: 8:30am to 4:30pm daily via the school office - 0151 477 8630
We will endeavour to return calls within 24 hours but processes may take longer at busy times of the school year.
Provision for pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities at Northwood Community Primary School is the responsibility of the whole school, with specialist guidance from the SENCO, the Governing Body, and the Head Teacher.
In our school we believe that all teaching staff are teachers of SEND and all leaders are leaders of SEND.
We adopt a graduated approach to meeting the needs of pupils with SEND.
That all pupils with special educational needs and disabilities experience success; achieve well and develop as individuals and members of our school community.
Aims of SEND support at Northwood:
Through the application of the SEND & Inclusion Policy, we will:
- Aim high - the whole school community (pupils, parents and staff) believing that all pupils, including those with SEND are capable, can achieve and be successful.
- Reduce barriers - taking practical steps so our school environment, facilities, curriculum and practices reduce barriers and are accessible to all.
- Work in partnership - giving children the opportunity to voice their wishes and drawing upon knowledge and expertise of parents and carers in relation to their child.
- Assess accurately - tracking progress of pupils with SEND regularly and adjusting provision considering ongoing monitoring (assess, plan, do review cycle).
- Be effective - targeting additional support using a careful and flexible balance of in class adaptive teaching methods and, where necessary and a clear rational is evident, additional interventions.
- Be reflective - Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of our provision for pupils with SEND to ensure we are providing equality of opportunity and value for money